Capabilities and Known Issues¶
HDF Product Designer aims to make the design process of HDF5 file content easier and intuitive. However, using this software still requires knowledge of the HDF5 data model and familiarity with the main features of its programming interface.
Consider the following when deciding if this software is appropriate for your HDF5 needs:
Only data interoperability in the Earth Science domain is supported currently.
No HDF5 files are being created/edited during the design process. HDF Product Designer implements an alternative backend storage (see System Design) that allows unlimited editing of HDF5 content.
HDF5 storage features not supported:
- HDF5 object and region reference datatypes
- Composite datatypes, with only a few exceptions
- Fixed-length Unicode strings
NASA’s Earthdata Login is the only user authentication supported.
HDF Product Designer is being actively maintained. Listed below are currently known issues:
- Linux binary may not work if your Linux system is behind firewalls and proxies because authentication with Earthdata Login will fail.
- On design import the process will continue despite any reported errors. There is no way to abort the import process.
- The netCDF system attributes, attached to netCDF variables with names prefixed with the underscore (“_”), are imported although they do not have any special meaning in HDF5. This is especially relevant for the _FillValue and _ChunkSizes attributes. Editing values of these two attributes will not affect that HDF5 dataset’s fill value or chunk size.
stringdatatype dataset in design will appear as
vlstringdatatype when the design is saved and re-opened.
- CF validation using the NCO’s
ncdismembertool may not work for the HTTP access. In case the browser window displays a failure to open the page please replace
httpsin the URL field and try again. Contact us if even the HTTPS URL fails.
- Nested compound datatype is not supported.
- Exporting designs with an array datatype compound field is not yet supported by all source code generators.
vlstring(variable-length string) datatype cannot be used as a compound datatype member.
- Choosing both CF and NUG for conventions when creating a new design is not supported. Select either one only.
- Convention support works for new designs only. Changing design’s convention later is not supported.
- Support for the HDF-EOS convention is still in very early stages of
development. It will not yield valid HDF-EOS5 template files because
it is not possible to assign values to datasets. Specifically, it
is not possible to store ODL string into the
StructMetadatadataset which is essential for HDF-EOS5 library to access the file.
- Export as works only for the current working version (label:
- Design/dataset/attribute/group names cannot be longer than 255 characters.
/character is not allowed in object names and will be replaced with the
- The size of attribute’s value cannot exceed one gigabyte.
- There is a 30-second timeout limit for all operations. Typically long executing operations, like template file validation, may fail due to this timeout.
- Generating HDF5 template files for designs with large attributes (storage
size greater than 64 kilobytes) may fail with an error:
Unable to create attribute (object header message is too large).
To report any new issue please visit the issue tracking website. (NASA Earthdata login required.)